Intro

This is a blog dedicated to the healthy practice of grammatically correct writing (yes, you may correct me), the observation and analysis of human behavior (including my own), and the praise and criticism of higher ideals (including, but not limited to, ethics, social norms, and bodily functions).

Monday, July 18, 2011

Out of My Mind, but Still in My Skin

It's amazing to think back when I was in high school, not getting more than six hours of sleep a night, averaging four hours of sleep most times. Now I'm thirty with a thyroid condition I am stubbornly juggling with nothing but irratic nutrition and sporatic exercise, and I'm lucky to wake up after nine hours of sleep. Karma is kicking my butt.
Similarly, I used to be considered the "Human Garbage Disposal", eating anything and just about everything in front of my face. But I justified it because I was working out so very much in those days; martial arts three days a week, anywhere from one to three hours at a time, marching band during the fall, and P.E. every other day. It makes me tired just thinking about it.
Perhaps there is a season for everything, and I sincerely hope this season of lethargy and hermitish energy is coming to an end, and swiftly. I miss the sunshine, which is ridiculous because Colorado gets more sunshine than the "Sunshine State". I miss walking and talking and enjoying the movement of my body. And as much as I can justify not doing these things because so much rides on my completion of school and finding a job and making choices that will shape the rest of my adult life, I continue to put it off because I have not yet realized, to the core, that improving my health will also shape the rest of my adult life.
Time to wake up.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to mention, for those of you who don't know, less than a week later, that following Sunday morning, Quentin took me to the Emergency Room for severe lower abdominal pains. This, of course, turned out to be my "mostly benign" 11cm cyst on my left ovary. Surgery to remove it and my left ovary commenced on August 5th, and I've been slowly working to "recover" ever since.
    You know, recovering by taking 18 credits, working an extra day, and dealing with a creepy and sleeze-ball roommate (who, luckily, is gone and replaced with a much nicer one, equipped with a dog). But that's life, right?
    I still don't think I've made the strides I should, but I will.
    I will...

    ReplyDelete