Intro

This is a blog dedicated to the healthy practice of grammatically correct writing (yes, you may correct me), the observation and analysis of human behavior (including my own), and the praise and criticism of higher ideals (including, but not limited to, ethics, social norms, and bodily functions).

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Will YOU Join My Cortege?

Good Morning, boys and girls! Time to put on your thinking caps...
And since I'm done reflecting on the past for now...


#4: What’s something you have that everyone wants?

Chutzpah. For those of you who don't know yittish - brashness, boldness, forwardness... but also overconfidence, presumptuousness, pushiness, rudeness, sassiness, sauciness, shamelessness. 
Ok, I know this sounds more insulting than flattering, but it was the first thing I could think of. I can't imagine _everyone_ wants it, and I know quite a few people that already have it. For example, when Quentin complained about the footage from set, I went to set the next day to confront the responsible parties and ensure that the goal was clear: get usable footage. I had nothing at stake, no grade nor money pending. It just needed to be done. When Qwest was giving us the run around, I demanded a supervisor and got us back on track.
But I remember when I was younger, my "overconfidence" always seemed to have a silver lining of sorts. For example, the first summer after I graduated high school I was working as an intern for Source Theater in downtown D.C. We did a short gig at the National Women's Museum with a series of short plays by women. Before one of our shows, the crew all went out for dinner at McD's across the street (I know, horrible). As we approached the door, there was an older homeless man, meakly occupying the space across from the entrance. There seemed to be no hope in his soft pleading for spare change, and it struck me to the core. To see a man reduced to such an extreme and not have the faith to carry him through broke my heart, and stifled my appetite.
I opened the door, but stopped before I could enter. A three second thought became probably the most generous gesture I've ever offered. I turned around and asked him to have dinner with me. Not buy him dinner, but offer food in exchange for his time. Because I wanted him to know that his time was valuable.
At the time, I believed that such bold actions could change the world, one person at a time, but I think it just made me bitter, as time went on, that no one cared about me that way. I'm slowly coming out of that funk, though, after my surgery and such. But I still find it difficult to tap into that bold power without seeming like I'm an uber-bitch.
By the way, if you'd like to know the rest of that story, let me know, and I'll respond with it.
In the meantime... What YOU got?

Also, I've been feeling the need to share the love, so here's one we can do together.

#41: What are you known for by your friends and family?
So, this one is on you guys. What am I known for? It's only fair if I answer the same for you. So, if you respond to this question, I will tell you what YOU are known for.

But first, here's some love I'd like to share...
But I digress. What's today's word? Oh, yes...
cortege [kawr-teyzh] -noun :
1. a procession, especially a ceremonial one: a funeral cortege.
2. a line or train of attendants; retinue.
Well, that's just morbid. But a fun word to pronounce. Look it up on dictionary.com to hear how it's pronounced. It just makes me want to learn French. I'm now at three language I'd like to learn - Sign Language (for future child rearing), Spanish (for its usefulness), and French ('cause it sounds pretty!).
So, I found an equally French-looking picture (even though it's English - Shh! Don't tell!):
Ok, so the flags give it away. Nevermind.
I think I prefer to appreciate the ceremony of it all rather than be a part of it. Probably why I never went into law enforcement. Or the military.
By the way, I am allowing myself to type in sentence fragments in order to become better accustomed to script form, which allows it, nay, encourages it. Please, be patient.
All right, readers, time for bed.
Until next time... 

An Irish Blessing for You:
"May God give you...
For every storm, a rainbow,
For every tear, a smile,
For every care, a promise,
And a blessing in each trial.
For every problem life sends,
A faithful friend to share,
For every sigh, a sweet song,
And an answer for each prayer."
 

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to know the rest of that story.

    And yes, I know how it feels to feel bitter over time and to get discouraged. I'm a lot like you in that I'm the "take charge" girl who doesn't back down. Being that girl is never received well. Girls like that are also called "bitches." That's a good part of why I hit rock bottom this year. It's tough being that girl and I just can't do it any more.

    So - questions:
    What am I known for? Party planning probably. (alliteration is awesome!)
    What are you known for? I know you for your work in film, but mostly I know you're strong and smart and I admire your drive. You're a force and I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna know the rest of that story too, because I've got one to share with you. Similar. That's wild, eh? But not unexpected considering the Walker women... :)

    ReplyDelete